Breadfruits grow in tropical regions of the world. They are native to South Pacific islands and countries where they grow on flowering trees. Now they exist in over 90 nations within Africa, the Caribbean, Asia, and Central America. When you cook breadfruits, it has a texture that is like baked bread. That is where it gets its name from. Aside from that, breadfruit tastes like potatoes too. But what most people don’t realize is that breadfruit leaves have amazing health benefits. You can cook breadfruit in many ways to consume them and get these benefits. A lot of people roast them, but you can also fry and bake them too. Regardless, you should understand and appreciate how breadfruit can improve your health.
Top 10 Health Benefits
Below are the 10 health benefits of breadfruit leaves.
1) Diabetes Treatment – Breadfruit is loaded with fiber. This helps absorb glucose in the blood while regulating blood sugar levels at the same time. If you suffer from diabetes, you will benefit tremendously from breadfruit.
2) Fights Infections – The antioxidants in breadfruits are good for destroying free radicals and preventing accelerated aging symptoms. Overall, they will help your body fight off diseases and infections in general.
3) Boosts Energy – There are 60g of carbohydrates in 1 breadfruit cup. This will give you a huge boost of energy to carry out your daily activities or workout at the gym.
4) Better Heart Health – There is a lot of potassium in breadfruit. As you may know, potassium is good for the heart because it lowers blood pressure and sodium. It also boosts the electrical charges in the skeletal system to promote muscular contractions of the heart as well.
5) Better Oral Health – If you suffer from oral thrush or a nasty toothache, breadfruit has the potential to clean out the bacteria in your mouth. You’ll want to boil the fruit, let it cool and then swish the solution in your mouth for 10 minutes.
6) Boosts Digestion – Breadfruit will clean out your digestive system and all the toxins that sit in your intestines. This will improve the health of your intestines and bowel. Not only that, it can also help prevent colon cancer.
7) Better Hair Health – Breadfruit is filled with Vitamin C and other nutrients that promote healthy hair. Consume for at least 4 months to see the benefits clearly.
8) Anti-Inflammatory – The anti-inflammatory properties of breadfruits can fight against pro-inflammatory enzymes in the body that cause skin inflammation. This means less redness and swelling from something like eczema or rosacea.
9) Better Skin Elasticity – If you consume breadfruit juice every day, it will boost the production of collagen in your skin. This is the protein which gives skin its elasticity and firmness.
10) Better Scalp Health – If you have a dry scalp that produces a lot of dandruff, you may get some relief from consuming breadfruit. It increases the scalp’s blood circulation because of all the iron in it. You may even experience hair regrowth too because the hair follicles will be stimulated.
There is not enough sufficient medical data to suggest that breadfruit is bad in any way. On the other hand, there is no medical data that shows it is safe to take as a medicinal treatment either. There are some warnings which have been issued by the medical community. Breadfruit should not be consumed by women who are pregnant or breastfeeding because it is unclear whether it is safe for them or not. Breadfruit might also increase bleeding in people with bleeding disorders. People with hypertension might have problems with breadfruit because it will lower their blood pressure too much.