Basil is an herb which comes from plant families like sage, mint, and lavender. It has been used as a food spice and flavoring for as long as 5,000 years. Ancient Chinese civilizations believed that basil had magical healing powers because it made people feel better and gave them strength. It also helped people deal with their hunger when they were fasting or didn’t have food to eat. Today, there have been numerous medical studies into basil leaves which show they are perfectly healthy for you to consume. In fact, there are many specific health benefits of basil which have already been recorded.
Top 10 Health Benefits
Below are the 10 health benefits of basil leaves.
1) Pain Reduction – Basil leaves have something called beta-caryophyllene which is a natural pain reliever for the body. If you suffer from a painful disease like arthritis, then you will benefit immensely from this compound. It may even help you send your arthritis into remission, although there is no clear scientific data to back up this claim.
2) Reduces Inflammation – Basil leaves are filled with anti-inflammatory properties and chemicals which help relax the joints and soothe feelings of burning in them. You may also see relief from skin inflammation as well, especially for those who suffer from eczema and psoriasis.
3) Antioxidants – There are many antioxidants in basil leaves which can destroy free radicals that affect the brain and skin. In other words, the negative effects that these free radicals have on your mind and body will be reduced considerably.
4) Fever Reduction – The anti-bacterial properties of basil leaves will do wonders for reducing any feverish symptoms that you feel. If you feel lightheaded or dizzy, basil leaves might be able to help you out there.
5) Reduces Stress – Oxidative stress on the mind can cause depression and anxiety. This stress may originate from environmental factors or from simply worrying too much about things. Basil can help you relax more by lowering this oxidative stress that gets placed on the mind.
6) Better Eye Health – Basil leaves have beta-carotene in them This is a compound that is great for your preventing dry eyes and muscle degeneration. It is technically an A vitamin.
7) Better Bone Health – If you lose bone density or suffer from any bone conditions or injuries, then basil leaves can help. These leaves contain Vitamin K which makes it easier for the body to absorb calcium. As you probably know, calcium is what you need to sustain the health of your bones.
8) More Energy – Basil is made of copper. This is what generates a compound in the body known as adenosine triphosphate. This compound is responsible for reducing exhaustion and fatigue symptoms. That way, you will feel an energy increase.
9) Better Brain Health – There are a lot of minerals in basil leaves. Manganese, for one, boosts the brain’s electronic transmitter activity so that you will have better mental reflexes. Also, the copper mineral improves overall brain functionality too.
10) Better Metabolic Rate – The metabolic rate determines how fast your body absorbs calories and turns them into energy for the body. Basil’s vitamins and minerals help boost the metabolic rate so that the body can stay healthy and lean.
Basil leaves have been consumed for thousands of years. There are no known side effects from consuming basil leaves for most people. The only possible side effect of consuming basil leaves is excessive bleeding. Of course, you only need to worry about this if you get a cut or are going into surgery within the next few weeks. Other than that, basil is perfectly safe to take. Sometimes doctors may warn pregnant women about not taking it too.